Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Golf Decorum: F*&% That!

Maybe I’m a jaded sports fan, after all, I follow baseball in all of its American hot dog, popcorn, beer guzzling glory. Am I the only one in this world who thinks the Tiger Woods swearing incident has been blown way out of proportion?

Intriguing headlines alluding to Woods’ reprehensible antics were plastered on all internet search engines over the past few days. Eventually they wore me down and I opened a link to find Tiger’s horrific language quoted in an article describing his offensive tantrums at Masters.

Be forewarned, I’m about to quote his absolutely unforgivable words after he played below expectations. Ready for it?

“Tiger, you suck!” & “Jesus Christ”

Oh, my God! I can’t f*&^#$%’ believe he used such God d%^$ language to describe such a sh^&&$ performance.

Now I’m well aware that golf is a “proper” sport in that there are rules of decorum and sportsmanship which are expected to be followed. But for all that’s holy, you just need to watch any live sports game (baseball and hockey in particular) and while you can’t hear it, you can certainly see endless strings of very creative and unrepeatable expletives flying without hesitance from the mouths of some of our most popular athletes.

For Pete’s sake, Tiger didn’t direct his offensive language at anyone else. He was having a bad day and was pissed at himself. Let a man speak his mind. And if his words were too fiery for the golf broadcasts, perhaps they should think twice before sticking a mic on or near him. Let the guy play his game. He’s got far bigger problems off the green this year than overly conservative sportscasters balking at swear words even grandmas use occasionally.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

1 comment:

  1. I have sympathy for Tiger, not that I am justifying his behavior with his infidelity, but the media needs to get off his back. As to language, can you imagine what we would hear if a microphone were attached to all of our famous football players, espeically when they are tackled. The same in an ince hockey game.

    Tiger apologizes for his indescretions, and went for treatment. I just hope he perseveres in his resolve to be a better person and golf player. Unfortunately because of his fame, he is like a fish in a bowl (to use a cliche--can't think of a new one.)

    As to language, not only professional sports persons, all of us at times use language that we don't like to use when frustrated or angry.

    I wish Tiger well. And the media needs to study about what forgivneness is.

    ReplyDelete