Thursday, December 16, 2010

Live, Laugh, & Love

Life has a funny way of knocking you off your feet. With the rush of the holiday season adding to the stress of personal and professional commitments, I had a mini-breakdown this morning. A trusted and wise friend suggested I take an hour and just relax. Taking a deep breath to convince myself that a break was indeed needed, I figured I’d check the world of Facebook to see what my friends have been up to lately. And there it was, news that a classmate and friend had passed away.

Like a movie sequence where the world around you continues to spin while time stops in your mind, all of my selfish cares and worries vanished. People die every day, but today it happened to someone I know. Someone who in his early 30’s was way too young to go. As “they” say, the good die young. And, it’s true.

I can’t be certain of what lies beyond our world, though I believe our souls live on in one form or another. One thing is for sure, he’ll never again feel the sunshine on his face the way we can. He’ll never again feel the physical embrace of those who loved him. The seasons will come and go without him. The world will be slightly emptier and sadder with him gone.

On my way to get my son from school today, I passed a house with tons of Christmas lights and decorations. Until that moment, it had looked like any other house trimmed for the season. Only now, it was different. It served as a reminder to savor every moment. Christmas lights, decorations, and presents too often end up as the focus of our holiday planning. We want to make everything perfect when everything we need is already with us. It’s in a hug from our kids or a wave from a friendly neighbor. It’s in the love of our families and friends and a kind gesture from a stranger. What matters most is the priceless, un-buyable, and unconditional love we give and receive from family and friends.

While John was a wonderful person and friend to those who knew him, his spirit lives on in the hearts of everyone he touched. And those who didn’t have the privilege of knowing him can hopefully take something away from his sad passing. Life is too short. Love fully. Laugh often. Seize the day.

John~ Wherever you are now (I’m picturing you playing vampire games on heaven’s facebook network), know that we will keep you in our memories and hearts forever. It was an honor to know you and watch you grow from the shy kindergartener to the sarcastically-witty friend with a contagious smile. You were a unique star in our universe and though your light has gone out, it will never be forgotten. RIP.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andrea, well siad about John. I picture him greeting our Lord who is saying to him with arms extended,"Welcome home." And with our Lord is his father and grandfather, my Uncle Joe, who is offering him a homemade pizza, a bag of roasted peanuts and a cold beer. I'm so happy I had the privelege of being able to have John in class, and we communicated frequently on FB. He always maintain a cheerful and positive attitude. I will surely miss him. Br. Warren, MSC

    ReplyDelete