Thursday, September 10, 2009

We’ve Come a Long Way (Well, Some of Us…)

Imagine being lashed for wearing inappropriate clothes. And not just any clothes. The horrible, indecent, and truly repulsive…pants?

Eleven women were recently arrested, tried, and found guilty of breaking a vague Islamic law in Sudan which regulates women’s attire. Ten pleaded guilty to wearing pants and were whipped for their punishment.

One, a former UN reporter, stood her ground and fought the system arguing the law does not clearly prohibit women’s pants. She was still found guilty, but spared 40 lashes. Instead she’s heading to jail, because she refuses to pay the fine of $209 as a matter of principal.

Pants. Pants?

Women have long fought against rules set in place by patriarchal societies. Living in America, it’s easy to take our freedoms for granted and forget the basic rights some women are still fighting for around the world.

I admire Lubna Hussein’s courage to fight the system. I wonder if I’d be brave enough to do the same if confronted with such a fundamental right. Then again, would I be too indoctrinated by a system which encompasses politics, religion, and social regulations to see the injustice? Would I fight for freedom or would I believe these women got what they deserved? I certainly hope I’d stand on the side of freedom and equality. Still, I wonder…

Source:
Sudanese woman fined for wearing trousers

No comments:

Post a Comment