Monday, August 31, 2009

Life: A Momentary Blip in Time

A breath. A kiss. A taste. A tear. Feeling one minute, void the next.

I read a phenomenal (and highly disturbing) blog post today which poignantly captured the delicate balance between life and death.

Every day that we don’t think about mundane things like breathing, loving, and just being, we take life for granted. You can be going about your daily routine, running to the grocery store, taking the kids to soccer practice, when without any warning your time may be up.

Throughout my life I’ve always worried about death—never so much about what waits on the other side, but losing someone we love here. When I became a parent, the fear multiplied a hundred fold. I agonize over keeping my kids safe from themselves and from others. I worry about them when I drop them off at school or watch them play a sport. I hope for their sake that my time won’t come until they’re adults and able to live without me. Though it’s not a sadistic or oppressing part of my daily thoughts, death is ever-present thanks to experiences like my car accident which could’ve been a lot worse and a little girl in our neighborhood who was struck and killed by a drunk driver as she crossed the street a few months ago.

After rereading my manuscript over the weekend, death is preying heavily on my mind. Though “Eternity is not Enough” touches on many topics, the unavoidable idea of death shapes the entire series and even grabs the reader in the preface.

The vampire storyline pushes the basis for the plot into paranormal fiction; however, the theme of losing those you love is something which everyone can understand. Ultimately, the lesson learned (in both my fictional and real worlds) is that we’re all at the mercy of fate and, one way or another, life goes on.

Life is precious. Life is fleeting. Make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment